Tampa Bay: Story of the day is definitely 2B William Gray who laced 6 hits, hitting for the 4th cycle in Rays history. Gray also scored 5 times and stole a pair of bases. The 6 hits were a third of the Rays 18 on the night, finally solving some of the RISP woes in the 9-8 win. The pen and Will Macoy’s nearly gave it away, but Gray’s 6th hit was a walk-off single in the 9th. That one was actually the only plate appearance he didn’t come around to score on.
Transaction News: Hunter Johnson was officially reinstated from his rehab assignment and will start Thursday against Cleveland. Moving to the pen is Tyson Oswalt who will operate as a setup man. Jeremy Benson was sent down to AAA.
Minor League Notes:
- Max Flora hit a 3-run homer, his 8th, in a Durham Bulls 6-1 win. Bryse Wilson was electric, striking out 10 and allowing just 1 run on 2 hits with no walks in 7 innings.
- The Biscuits came back from down 6-1, but fell 7-6 in 14 innings. Bobby Witt Jr had a 4 hit night and Raul Melendez reached base 5 times.
- Clarence Dunn evened his record at 2-2 in a 6-1 win for Charlotte. He struck out 6 in 6 innings
- Nick Gonzales and Evan Waxman each had a pair of hits in the Rods 10-5 win. They’re currently 71-25.
- 2020 11th round pick, Clay Harkness doubled and homered in a 7-2 win for Port Charlotte. 2020 1st round pick Ed Howard doubled twice, giving him 5 in 9 games.
- Mark Pope and JJ McGarrett each had a pair of hits in Princeton’s 2-1 loss.
AAA Durham, AA Montgomery, A+ Charlotte and A Bowling Green are all currently in 1st place. A- Hudson Valley is in 2nd place, one game back. The Rookie league squads are a combined 4-12.