Tampa Bay: Another rough one for the Rays, falling to Baltimore 6-4 in 15 innings. Backup C Bob Heller hit a booming 3-run homer but again the offense just couldn’t come through with RISP, going 1-for-5. The Rays OPS with RISP on the year is down to .669, lowest in the AL and over 100 points below league average. It’s been even worse in July, all the way down to just .543 as they’ve hit just .160 in those situations this month. They’re .652 OPS in High Leverage situations is also the bottom of the AL.Notable minor league notes
- Durham AAA CF Alek Thomas had another 3-hit game, his 2nd in 3 days, jumping his average up to .294.
- Montgomery SP Navy Shuler threw 6 scoreless to even his AA record at 3-3.
- Charlotte swept a doubleheader with a pair of 1-run wins. Shep Rose had a 3 hit effort in the opener.
- CL Rick Moore picked up his 7th save in a 6-5 win for Bowling Green
- 1B Bradley Archer continues to rake for A- Hudson Valley, 3 hits including a tiebreaking 10th inning homer in their 12-10 win. The 19-year-old is hitting a blistering .442 with a 1.257 OPS in 29 games, driving in 42. He’s on pace for a 6 WAR season in a truncated NYPL schedule.
- Port Charlotte finally had a home game and finally got a win to put their record at 1-7. 2021 5th round pick, SP Brady Dutcher was amazing, 10 K’s and no walks with 8.1 shutout innings, allowing 2 hits. 3rd round pick Brock Vandagriff singled and launched a 3-run homer.
- 7th rounder Mark Pope had his own 3-run homer in Princetons’ 7-2 win. 4th rounder 1B Lucas Miller came into the game just 1-for-21 but had a 3-hit night including his 1st HR.